About Bromley EmergencyThis author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Bromley Emergency has created 77 blog entries.
Which one of the following is NOT a cause of macrocytic anaemia ?
- Alcohol abuse
A young patient’s median nerve is injured by a supracondylor fracture of the humerus. The resulting motor deficits may include all of the following EXCEPT which one?
- Weakness of pronation
- Weakness of ulnar deviation of the wrist
- Loss of thumb opposition
- Loss of abduction of the index and middle fingers
- Loss of index and middle finger flexion
Potassium excretion by the kidney is increased by which one of the following?
- Reduced renal tubular flow
- Falling serum pH (acidaemia)
- ACE inhibitors
Which one of the following is NOT correct regarding the cerebral circulation?
- Cerebral oxygen consumption is about 20% of total body oxygen consumption
- The brain uses glucose as its main energy source
- Autoregulation maintains a constant cerebral blood flow for mean arterial pressures (MAP) between 60-160mmHg.
- Cerebral blood flow is very sensitive to arterial pO2
- Local metabolites, ADP, K+ and H+ ions, all increase cerebral blood flow
Which one of the following is true regarding the use of gentamicin?
- It is bacteriostatic
- It has synergistic effects when used along with penicillin
- It is effective against anaerobes
- Nephrotoxicity is dose related
- Ototoxicity is rare