FRCEM and MRCEM Courses Dublin, Ireland
Bromley Emergency Courses were delighted to have been invited to Dublin, Ireland by the Irish Emergency Medicine Trainees Association (IEMTA) to deliver their new FRCEM Intermediate SAQ Course September 2016.
FRCEM Intermediate SAQ Course (Dublin, Ireland):
Next Course: TBA. Click HERE for course programme.
Course Leads: Dr Ian Stell and Dr Mathew Hall
The FRCEM Intermediate Certificate Short Answer Question (SAQ) Paper is intended to test a candidates application of Emergency Medicine knowledge. This is done through 60 SAQ questions covering the breadth of Emergency Medicine practice as outlined in the 2015 RCEM Emergency Medicine Curriculum. Questions will carry three marks each and likely require the interpretation of clinical cases and accompanying clinical data such as ECGs, blood test results, clinical pictures, X-rays and CT scans. Answering the questions will require a thorough familiarity with the presentation and management of emergency cases - adult, paediatric, medicine, surgery and trauma - as well as anesthetics, intensive care medicine, practical procedures and the common competencies.
Our intensive two day FRCEM Intermediate SAQ Course will take you through the required knowledge for the Intermediate SAQ paper in a series of lectures given by our experienced faculty of Emergency Physicians and using a large number of practice exam questions. There will be a focus on teaching those topics most important for the exam itself and on up-to-date clinical guidelines in use in the UK.
(Practice paper 1 is completed at home and brought on the first day)
Registration & course welcome
Interactive review of Paper 1
Lecture: Common competancies
Lecture: Medicine I
SAQ paper 2
Lecture: Anaesthetics and ICM
Lecture: Paediatrics I
Lecture Paediatrics II
Interactive review of Paper 2
Exam tips and discussion
(Paper 3 is to be completed overnight and brought in for day two)
Interactive review of paper 3
Lecture: Surgical presentations
Lecture: Trauma & orthopaedics
SAQ Paper 4
Lecture: Paediatrics III
Lecture: Medicine II
Interactive review of paper 4
MRCEM Part C/OSCE Course (Dublin, Ireland):
Next course dates: TBA Click HERE for sample course programme.
Course leads: Dr Ian Stell & Dr Mathew Hall
Venue : TBA
Bromley Emergency Courses are delighted to have been invited to Dublin, Ireland by the Irish Emergency Medicine Trainees Association (IEMTA) to deliver their new two day MRCEM Part C/OSCE Course on the 3rd and 4th September 2016.
The MRCEM Part C/OSCE examination is a comprehensive test of a candidates clinical knowledge and skills as well as their communication, attitudes and behaviors. It consists of 16 consecutive OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) stations, plus two 'rest' stations. At each station the candidate must read a brief scenario, then enter 'role play' mode to manage a simulated clinical situation. These situations mimic the breadth of Emergency Medicine practice from managing a trauma team, resuscitating a sick child, taking a difficult history, suturing a wound or dealing with an angry relative. The examination relies heavily on actors and equipment to simulate real-life problems.
There is no doubt that the MRCEM Part C examination is a tough exam. According to the College about 70% of UK trainees pass the exam, while only about 25% of non-trainees pass. Good communications and other 'soft' skill are of paramount importance, but often overlooked and the cause of failure. As a result the exam is particularly challenging for those lacking a training in communication skills as expected for UK practice, and those who are not familiar with OSCE style examinations.
Following from our 10 yrs experience running highly regarded MRCEM Part C courses, our new two day MRCEM Part C/OSCE course provides candidates with even more OSCE teaching and practice in preparation for the real exam. A focus throughout on good communication and improving the candidates 'soft skills' further increase chances of success. You wil be taught by our highly experienced faculty, all practicing Emergency Medicine Senior Registrars or Consultants with a track record of OSCE or simulation training.
Introduction to the course
Lecture: Exam overview/OSCE basics
- Paediatric life support
- Adult emergencies
- Trauma moulage
Lecture: Procedures stations
Lecture: Examinations stations
Group OSCE practice I
- Communications skills
- History taking
Lecture: OSCE skills and behaviours
Group OSCE practice II
Common OSCE workshops:
- Teaching a junior
- Psychiatric OSCEs
Individual Mock OSCE circuit
Soft skills workshops:
- Management OSCEs
- Maximising your marks
- Comprehensive 150 page course manual. A textbook in itself, the course manual covers all the major types of OSCE encountered with numerous examples and marksheets.
- Six month access to our full set of over 80 Part C/OSCE training videos beginning from when you register on the course.
By booking onto one of our courses, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions.
- All course materials, examination practice papers and videos are the intellectual property of Bromley Emergency Courses. By booking onto a course, or purchasing materials on the website, delegates acknowledge this and agree not to copy or distribute these materials.
- Bromley Emergency Courses reserves the right to make minor alterations to the programme, speakers, or venue of any of our courses.
- Should a course be cancelled for any reason, we shall endeavour to reschedule or refund the cost of the course in full.
- Delegates making a cancellation in writing more than four weeks before a course will be refunded in full, less a 10% administration fee.
- Delegates making a cancellation in writing between two and four weeks before a course will be entitled to a 50% refund.
- Delegates making a cancellation in writing less than two weeks before a course will not be entitled to a refund.
- If, for any reason, a delegate should not feel happy with the quality of a course, or something should happen during a course, which is outside of Bromley Emergency Courses' control, that affects the quality of a course, the delegate will not be entitled to a refund.
- Bromley Emergency Courses does not accept responsibility for the loss or damage of a delegate's property/personal effects whilst on a course.